I'm adding this because I scanned every step of this piece for some reason, and I'm a process nerd. And I have to imagine DeviantArt has no shortage of process nerds who may stumble across this, so why not?
1. The Sketch: I own several sketchbooks and Bristol pads and reams of paper designated specifically for sketching, but I inevitably end up doing the majority of my sketching on the back of a print-out or xeroxed piece of paper, as is the case here. I worked the idea of the Swastika into the background and even went so far as to put it in the worked-up color piece, but it made the whole thing feel like a "Hero Shot," and I didn't want to celebrate the character's Nazi beginnings. It just felt hinky.
2. The Pencils: I worked and reworked Valkyrie's arm in this stage. I had the "arm akimbo, gun straight up" thing for awhile, and the more relaxed "arm at side" look, but I ultimately went back to the original sketches designation. I liked the operatic John Woo-style pose (for full effect, I would need to add flying doves, I suppose).
3. The Inks: I know I need a lot of work on my inks. That's one area where I have tried to improve over the past two, three years. I use a lot of Pigma Micro pens, but would love to find the right brush to use. Odd that I don't, since I've had a lot of watercolor training, so brushes shouldn't exactly be foreign to me.
4. The Flats: As I mentioned in the final piece, I stuck close to the color scheme Dave Stevens used on Eclipse's "Airboy" #5 cover. Like Valkyrie's costume, the colors are a little bold.
The final piece can be seen here: [link]